Here’s the recipe for the pie mentioned in Chapter 21 of Anticipating:
Cherry (or whatever) Cream Cheese Pie Recipe:
- 1 (21 ounce) can pie filling (cherry, blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, whatever kind you like), chilled
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT “cream” or evaporated milk!!)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (the softened-er, the better)
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup lemon juice (some recipes call for 1/3, others for 1/2…I go with 1/2: makes the resulting pie firmer and tarter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla OR almond extract (I add almond extract if I’m topping with cherry pie filling)
- 1 (8 or 9-inch) graham cracker OR shortbread pie crust (I hate graham cracker pie crusts, so I use shortbread)
* Let the cream cheese basically come up to room temperature in a nice large bowl. When the cheese is softened, attack it with beaters until it’s nice and “fluffy”. Dump in the sweetened condensed milk (and wash your hands because that sticky crap gets EVERYWHERE), then mix until it’s all smoothly blended. Add in the lemon juice and vanilla (or almond) extract, and stir/mix till blended.
* Pour this slowly-thickening mixture into your pie crust, place in fridge till it’s set, then top with the (chilled can of) fruit of your choice.
**Completely optional toppings for the fruit topping: slivered almonds (especially for cherry!), shredded coconut, crushed pecans, chocolate morsels (especially for strawberry), whipped cream, etc.